A look into the life of a 25 year old mother, wife, sister, friend, vegan and karaoke lover. Fair warning... what you are about to read a) is personal and you might feel uncomfortable at times, b) is very funny and should not be read if you are trying to spy on me without getting caught, c) is so enthralling that you might become obsessed with my life and my karaoke news flashes, and d) contains lots of 3-period endings to sentences... Don't say I didn't warn you...

The Song List...


Monday, March 10, 2008

Abby's Favorite Black Bean Chili

I am obsessed with this black bean chili. I got a freezer meal from one of those prepared dinner places. It was so blah-bland. So I decided I could do a much better recipe by adding some of my favorite Mexican flavors. And alas, I was correct and one of my favorite meals was born.

2 tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup carrot, diced
28 oz canned tomatoes, diced or crushed
28 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
8 oz tomato sauce
1 quart vegetable broth
1 cup frozen sweet corn
1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
Crushed red pepper flake, to taste
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Saute onion, garlic, carrot and celery in canola oil for 3 minutes over medium heat. Add all remaining ingredients and stir to incorporate. For those of you who like it spicy (like me), shake that red pepper flake in until your arm starts to tire. Then give a couple extra shakes for good measure. Do not serve to children or my husband this way. That would be cruel.

Simmer for 30 minutes over low heat. Serve with tortilla chips or corn bread. Allow leftover chili to cool and transfer to 1 qt freezer bags. Freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw chili in fridge and warm in a sauce pan.

Crock Pot Directions: Combine all ingredients minus canola oil and set on low heat for 4-6 hours.

Black Bean Stew with Warmed Tortillas: Add only 1/4 quart of vegetable broth. Simmer to a stew-like consistency. Serve with warmed tortillas, soy cheddar cheese and sour cream substitute.

No comments: