A look into the life of a 25 year old mother, wife, sister, friend, vegan and karaoke lover. Fair warning... what you are about to read a) is personal and you might feel uncomfortable at times, b) is very funny and should not be read if you are trying to spy on me without getting caught, c) is so enthralling that you might become obsessed with my life and my karaoke news flashes, and d) contains lots of 3-period endings to sentences... Don't say I didn't warn you...

The Song List...


Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Answer to #1 Question

Let's see. I am about 3 months into being vegan. I feel great, people who haven't seen me in a while can tell a difference. I am still, obviously, happy with this change. The one question that continues to be brought up is... "What do you eat, anyway?" There are variations of this question such as "Do you eat only rabbit food now?" or "Well, you eat fish, right? I mean, how do you get protein?" and my favorite "I could never do that. Aren't you hungry all the time?"

So I have been keeping track of what I eat every day for the last few days so that I can answer all of these questions in one swoop. And no, I do not eat fish. So let's get this party started with Thursday.

Thursday 3/27/08
My first day of online classes started today. Economics and General Business. I sat by the computer half the day between breaks for highlighting my text and checking on my emails. Food for the day looked like this:
Breakfast - Gorilla Munch Cereal with Vanilla Soy Milk. Raspberry Mocha Smoothie with Arbonne Chocolate Protein Powder in it. Yum.

Lunch - Vegan Black Bean Half Burrito from Taco del Mar. Chips. Iced Tea.

Snack - 1/2 Endangered Species Dark Chocolate bar with espresso beans.

Dinner - 1/2 Veggie Pot Pie. Lots of apples and bananas with peanut butter. Glass of Kiona Cab wine. Some veggies with hummus. This was the night of my Arbonne party that barely anyone showed up for. So I followed up as I cleaned up all the uneaten food with a pity party and another glass of wine.

Friday 3/28/08
Good morning juice - Fresh squeezed Grapefruit juice.

Snack/Late Breakfast - Strawberry Mocha Smoothie. Banana.

Lunch - Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich. Handful of Kettle chips. Arbonne energy drink. We headed to Seattle while eating our lunch.

Dinner at Cafe Flora - Appetizer of fried avocado with southwestern aoili dip. Yum! Vegan Pizza with tofu ricotta, asparagus and roasted tomatoes on a yummy herb crust. A couple bites of Hayden's ravioli. Dessert of vegan bread pudding with a chocolate topping that was delicious.

More - tall soy cinnamon dolce latte from Starbucks. No whip.


Saturday 3/29/08
Breakfast - Amazon Frosted Flakes with vanilla soy milk. Strawberry Mocha Smoothie (I love these smoothies! They are chocolate protein powder, ice cubes, frozen fruit, a scoop of instant coffee and vanilla soy milk).

Snack - Champagne with Chambord as we wait for the locksmith to come rescue us at my sister's house. Way too many macadamia nuts on the car ride down to Chateau St Michele Winery in Woodinville, WA. We are headed to a private tasting and tour.

Winery Tour eats and drinks - well, not too vegan friendly as this is a food and wine pairing tasting and they did not know that 2 of the 6 were vegan. Hayden and I ended up eating lots of strawberries, grapes, kalamata olives, bread and crackers. We also downed 5 pours of different wines that were all Heavenly. Each was about 4 ounces. Then toured the estate with a glass of champagne. Then tried some more wine. And on an empty stomach. It was funny. Then headed back to Bellingham. Had to stop into El Gitano for some karaoke. Duh.

Dinner - el Gitano. The lovely Victoria ensured that we had no icky animal by-products in our meals. I got a black bean enchilada with rice and more black beans on the side. WAY too many chips and lots of pico de gallo. I attempted a grey hound for a drink but it was not working for me so I passed it to Hayden. I drank lots of water and iced tea to prep my voice for a night of singing.


Sunday 3/30/08
We started out the day with a brunch since I was being lazy and didn't cook until 11. Merritt had cereal so don't get upset.
Brunch - Greek Tofu Scramble (crumbled tofu, onions, sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, spinach, tumeric and garlic). Potatoes Obrien with paprika, garlic powder, salt pepper and parsley. Very yummy.

Lunch - 1/2 bar of Endangered Species Dark Chocolate with Orange. MMMMM.... Lots of Salt & Vinegar Kettle chips. I know, healthy.

Dinner - I made black bean soup but didn't feel like eating it. I had baked potatoes and steamed asparagus instead with lots of garlic dill seasoning on top. Glass of orange juice.

Dessert - Giant Fuji apple with lotsa peanut butter.


The plan for tomorrow is....
Breakfast - Mocha Smoothie.
Lunch - Black Bean Soup with Garlic Bread
Dinner - Pitas or Sandwiches with Hummus and Veggies. Garlic Fries.
Dessert - I am getting more of that Coconut Sorbet. Period.

My dinner menu plan for the week looks like:
Tuesday - Whole Wheat Pasta Pomodoro with Salad with Poppyseed Dressing and garlic bread.
Wednesday - Boca Burgers and something on the side. Probably sweet potato fries.
Thursday - Thai food. Probably Swimming Ramma with Brown Rice.
Friday - Quinoa Pilaf. Steamed Veggies with Garlic Dill. Fruit Salad.
Saturday - Roasted Veggie Sub Sandwiches.
Sunday - Black Bean Burritos with Spanish Rice.
Monday - Homemade Pizza with Tomato and Fresh Basil.
Tuesday - Spring Rolls and veggie Fried Rice.

So I hope that gives you some sort of look into what we eat and how yummy it really is. Lunches usually consist of sandwiches, soup or something frozen from Trader Joes that is easy to make. Breakfast is a lot of Gorilla Munch (Merritt's favorite cereal) and fresh fruit. Smoothies for me and Hayden. Merr usually has some smoothie, too. And we eat lots of healthy snacks throughout the day. We have fresh cut veggies with dip, apples, oranges, bananas, etc. If you are careful to plan a well balanced vegan menu, you get all the protein, nutrients and everything else you need.

I am off to go get more peanut butter for my apples and to finish my notes for Econ. Later.

No comments: