A look into the life of a 25 year old mother, wife, sister, friend, vegan and karaoke lover. Fair warning... what you are about to read a) is personal and you might feel uncomfortable at times, b) is very funny and should not be read if you are trying to spy on me without getting caught, c) is so enthralling that you might become obsessed with my life and my karaoke news flashes, and d) contains lots of 3-period endings to sentences... Don't say I didn't warn you...

The Song List...


Monday, March 31, 2008

Some of My Favorite Reasons to be Veg

I picked up the latest copy of VegNews, Mar+Apr 2008 edition. I was immediately drawn to the list of 222 Reasons to Be Veg on page 50. I just had to share a couple of my favorites that I can relate to.

6. Never having to eat spam.
8. The joy and triumph when "veganizing" a recipe.
13. Not eating the bodies of tortured souls.
18. Lactose intolerance is a non-issue.
20. Having clean arteries that aren't clogged with dead-animal goo.
28. Greater spirtitual, mental, emotional and physical strength.
34. Watching loved ones and strangers slowly evolve toward vegetarianism.
36. Not having to inspect meals for fatty, gristly bits.
40. Vegan guys are hot! (damn straight they are!)
41. No dead bodies in my refrigerator.
46. Cooking is easier and more fun.
47. Feeling instantly at home upon entering veg restaurants, anywhere in the world.
52. Never having to apologize for not eating questionable potluck food.
54. Bean and guacamole burritos.
57. Vegans taste better.
58. Belonging to a higher-IQ demographic.
61. Living simply so that others may simply live.
67. A lowered risk of osteoporosis.
73. One needn't be an Einstein to choose vegetarianism (although Einstein was veg).
78. Better skin and fewer zits.
79. Getting to wear pleather in a non-weird way.
80. Cheaper groceries.
83. Reducing the risk of acquiring many chronic diseases.
87. Indulging guiltlessly in rich, delicious vegan desserts.
92. Never having to cut and prepare blood-soaked food. (This is probably one of my FAVORITES!)
99. Finding like-minded people and having something in common instantly.
100. Not feeling like crap all the time. (AMEN!)
102. Cooking for and eating with friends.
107. Experimenting in the kitchen.
110. Not inadvertently funding a corrupt agribusiness billionaire's vacation home.
113. Eating whatever I want, within reason, and not gaining tons of weight. (An answer to countless prayers after years of agonizing daily over weight instead of enjoying life!)
116. Everything!
117. Knowing the Heimlich maneuver, if ever needed, won't produce a hunk of dead flesh.
123. Not getting queasy when thinking about where food comes from.
124. Having a kitchen that never reeks of seafood.
132. Not having to use a toothpick to scrape meat of one's teeth.
134. Quinoa.
140. Having the most unique and exciting cookbook collection ever.
142. Eating healthfully by default.
143. Getting to lick the batter off the electric cookie beater without fear of salmonella.
145. Feeling squeaky clean inside.
147. Saying goodbye to diabetes.
149. Breakfast smoothies. (YUMMM!!!)
150. Vegetarians smell better.
152. More energy and stamina. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)
162. Getting to wear size 6 jeans. (Actually smaller, but not having to worry about ever going beyond a 6 again)
166. Using my vegan status to deflect weirdos in bars. (made me laugh. I can deflect almost anyone now once I bring up vegan convo.)
173. Eating all the time.
181. Not being a mindless, cheese-addicted zombie. (Lord knows I was before)
184. The excitement of discovering a new veg restaurant.
186. Not worrying about whether tofu is cage-free.
189. Greater mental clarity. (It's true!)
202. Tofu scramble.
205. Teaching children life lessons invaluable to character development.
206. Avocado every which way.
216. Vegan soap feels clean, not lardy.

And to add a couple of my own to the list... although it is a great list already...
1. How great I feel after 3 vegan doughnuts for breakfast... not all heavy and sugar-laden like before.
2. Iced Soy Chai Lattes made in my own kitchen.
3. A sense of more pride and ownership over my own life and decisions.
4. Thinking that... I am a Skinny Bitch now!
5. Goodbye fat days! They are a thing of the past.
6. I am more empowered and outspoken. (who knew I could be more so!)
7. People who are interested in my lifestyle because they see positive change in me.
8. I am proud of myself.
9. Being vegan is easy. So easy. I dare you to try it for 2 weeks and see what happens, how you feel.
10. Not feeling pressured to eat cheese or beef every time I drink red wine.
11. Better taste buds.
12. No more McDonald's.
13. Merritt knows that "McDonald's isn't healthy. We don't eat there anymore. Eww!"
14. Not feeling guilty about what I feed my child.
15. I love fruits and veggies and eat so much now.
16. Using our VitaMix blender the way it was intended to be used.
17. Coming up with my own recipe variations for anything.
18. I have rediscovered my love of reading and am in the middle of 5 or 6 books right now. All empowering, thoughtful books.
19. More energy every single day.
20. No more gut bombs after eating an expensive dinner.
21. Homemade pizza dough made by yours truly.
22. Discovering new spices.
23. Sharon's Sorbet. Gourmet Coconut.
24. Endangered Species Chocolate Bars.
25. Vitamins without "gelatin" listed on the list of ingredients.
26. Arbonne products.
27. Soft skin.
28. Clarity about my whole life.
29. Raising my son to feel empowered to make decisions for himself and no one else.
30. Blogging about my experiences.
31. Deep Fried Avocado from Cafe Flora. Dear Lord. Wow.
32. Knowing who Rory Freedman is and appreciating her.
33. Understanding this phrase "I don't know a single vegan who's managed to avoid being the center of a meathead bully-circle." And knowing that it does come with the territory... and that is okay because I am healthy and happy and whole!
34. My teeth don't hurt anymore.
35. Mighty O Doughnuts.
36. Trader Joe's and their countless vegan cookie options.
37. Knowing that my makeup has no icky rendering-plant related ingredients.
38. Not having to puke after watching Fast Food Nation.
39. Political awareness.
40. The idea of falling off the grid sounds good to me now.
41. I get Scott more now.
42. Hummus.
43. Knowledge is power.

K. I think I could go on and on. So I will stop now. You get the picture. I am happy to be vegan and VegNews helped to show me many of the ways I am grateful. Thank you again, to Skinny Bitch, for changing my life, opening my eyes and helping to give me that push I needed to travel down a healthier path in life! I am off to dream about Vegan Doughnuts now.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Hey sounds like you are doing and feeling great. I've been meaning to tell you...if you havn't already been to "juice it," it's in the Public Market in Bellingham, you need to go there and order their spring rolls. They are my very favorite and they are vegetarian. Whenever I go to town I hit them up and the peanut sauce is amazing! Just something to note. Hope school and all is going well. I'm off to stand on my head for a while as my little princess has decided to turn herself butt down. Talk to you soon!