A look into the life of a 25 year old mother, wife, sister, friend, vegan and karaoke lover. Fair warning... what you are about to read a) is personal and you might feel uncomfortable at times, b) is very funny and should not be read if you are trying to spy on me without getting caught, c) is so enthralling that you might become obsessed with my life and my karaoke news flashes, and d) contains lots of 3-period endings to sentences... Don't say I didn't warn you...

The Song List...


Monday, March 24, 2008

Cafe Flora, economics and why am I up so late?

I am up late again. So many things to do, so little time. I am gearing up for many changes in our lives here in the next few weeks. I am starting school in a couple of days. I have two online courses and one class on campus. I am 4 quarters away from my degree and I am really excited to embark on this new adventure. I went into WCC the other day. It was so bizarre. I was pumped to be there again. I got a few of my books and I started reading them that day. From what I recall of my prior days of college, I never looked forward to a whole lot of anything to do with school. My main priority was figuring out what class I could afford to skip that week so I could spend more time with my boyfriend. I think it will be challenging but really a good step for our family... to get me out of the house and into an adult setting again. I really need more social time. I am such a people person and it's really hard for me on days that I am cleaning up the third glass of spilled soy milk and am scrubbing the floors again to really remember how grateful I truly am to be blessed enough to stay home with my little baby bear. I don't want to be absent so using the term "absence makes the heart grow fonder" doesn't really fit. I guess for me maybe it would be phrased something like "Time to remember who I am makes me more appreciative of my blessed life." Does that sound right? I don't know but it makes sense to me.

So what are the other changes? Well, Hayden and I have a little plan cooking up (no, I am not pregnant). You will have to stay tuned to see if we can take it to the place we want to. And if we do, I promise you will be happy and so will we.

We are setting our whole plan into action of changing our lives. Now we're healthier physically... it's time to get healthy spiritually, mentally, financially. I have been singing my baby to sleep every night with Amazing Grace and I tell you what... having a toddler fall asleep on my shoulder as I sing to him... that right there really is amazing grace. It puts things into perspective. Hayden and I want to live passionately and with no fears, no regrets... always remembering that this life is too short to miss out on LIFE. We want to make just enough money to pay our bills so we can survive and eat yummy vegan food. Money is just a thing. The opportunity cost of living my life without making money to hoard away, to buy things that clutter up my house... it would definitely be missing out on a lot of fabulous fashion-related items... but I am investing in the richness of my life, so in the end I leave this earth smiling and having my son remember that mommy and daddy really LIVED (see, Economics really is pertinent to real life). What could I take to the ends of the earth that no one can ever take away from me? My memories. So I am here to make more of them with my family and my friends. And along the way in the next few months you too may learn about economics or event planning or business right along with me.

I hope my little blog finds you in happy place. On that note I will leave you with one wonderful restaurant recommendation.

Cafe Flora - Madison Street. Seattle, Washington.
Let's talk about happy vegans for a moment. Cafe Flora is nestled between cute little buildings in a suburb-type area of Seattle. This restaurant looks simple from the front. Then you look at the menu posted outside... and if you are vegan like me, you squeal with delight! So many options, clearly lined out on the menu. Hayden and I had a nice little lunch together and we both enjoyed food without any fear of animal products creeping in without our knowledge. I had a black eyed pea curry soup with a very delicious salad and about 10 bites off Hayden's plate... Hayden's plate full of heavenly potatoes and "Chorizo" Southwestern Scramble. His also came with a little piece of coffee cake that was our dessert. While we waited for our food I sipped on Rosemary Lemonade... probably the second best lemonade I have ever had (and that is saying a lot because numero uno is like, well, numero uno I guess). I browsed through their cookbook and decided to buy one to bring home. I am getting so many amazing ideas already! The service was normal, not the very best but for that amazing food, we didn't care. And did I mention the take-out vegan Sticky Buns? I have been picking at those for a few days and they still taste just as good as when they were hot out of the oven. So next time you're in Seattle, definitely check out Cafe Flora. You won't be disappointed! It's yummy for vegans, vegetarians and carnivores alike (but don't show up there expecting any meat because then you will be disappointed).

No comments: